In Vegetable and Salad lines;
- Asparagus is now imported with the Australian season finishing.
- Cauliflower, Chinese Cabbage, Cos Lettuce, Rocket Bunches and English Spinach are unavailable due to poor quality.
- Snow Peas are scarce. Beans and Sugar Snaps are better value.
- Shepard Avocadoes have started. They have a smooth glossy skin that stays green as the fruit ripens.
- Asian and Green Leafy vegetables and Herbs are more expensive due to short supply.
- The quality of most vegetable and salad lines is still very good but prices are firm.
The best value vegetable and salad items are;
- Brushed (still dirty) Potatoes
- Sweet Potato
- Qld and Jap Pumpkin
- Red and Green Capsicum
- Regular Tomatoes
- Salad Mix
- New season Gala, Red Delicious and Granny Smith Apples have started and are very good. Pink Lady and Sundowner Apples are still available and good. Store apples covered in the fridge to keep them crisp.
- New season Williams Pears have started and are nice. Williams pears go gold and soften as they ripen. Nashi Pears have also started.
- Oranges are scarce, but we will still have good Australian Valencia’s. Valencia’s tend to have a green tinge but are a nice orange colour and juicy inside. Imported Navels are unavailable until a new shipment arrives.
- Lemons are scarce and expensive. Limes are more abundant and better value.
- Bananas are good and still quite cheap.
- Figs are in season and nice. Figs have a short shelf life and must be refrigerated and consumed within a few days.
- Italian Kiwifruit are in season. The Italian fruit is generally quite tangy.
- Strawberries and Blueberries are good but expensive.
- Grapes are nice and prices have started to ease.
- Mangoes, Cherries and Peaches have finished for this season.
- Nectarines and Plums are still very good. We will continue with discounted trays of Nectarines while the nice fruit is available.
- Pineapples and Red Papaya are excellent.
- Rockmelon and Honeydew melons are very nice and Watermelons are also good.
- Passionfruit are available again.
- Try our local Hornsby Heights Honey which rated very well at last year’s Easter show.
Order your home delivered fruit and vegetables before 8:30 pm on Wednesday for delivery to Artarmon, Castle Cove, Castlecrag, Chatswood, Chatswood West, East Killara, East Lindfield, Gordon, Gordon East, Gordon West, Killara, Lindfield, Middle Cove, Northbridge, North Willoughby, Pymble (West side), Roseville, Roseville Chase, St Ives (South), Turramurra (West side), West Lindfield, West Pymble and Willoughby on Thursday afternoon or evening.