In Vegetable and Salad lines;
- Asparagus is now imported with the Australian season finishing.
- Cauliflowers are very scarce and expensive.
- Snow Peas are scarce. Beans and Sugar Snaps are better value.
- Shepard Avocadoes have started. They have a smooth glossy skin that stays green as the fruit ripens.
- Cos Lettuce, Rocket Bunches and English Spinach are unavailable due to poor quality.
- Asian and Green Leafy vegetables and Herbs are more expensive due to short supply.
- The quality of most vegetable and salad lines is still very good but prices are firm.
The best value vegetable and salad items are;
- Brushed (still dirty) or Chats (Small White) Potatoes
- Qld Pumpkin
- Green Capsicum
- Lebanese Cucumber
- Regular Tomatoes
- Salad Mix
- New season Gala Apples have started and are nice. Pink Lady, Sundowner and Granny Smith Apples are all still available and good. Store apples covered in the fridge to keep them crisp.
- New season Williams Pears have started and are very good. Williams pears go gold and soften as they ripen.
- Oranges are scarce, but we will still have good Australian Valencia’s. Valencia’s tend to have a green tinge but are a nice orange colour and juicy inside. Imported Navels are unavailable until a new shipment arrives.
- Lemons are scarce and expensive. Limes are more abundant and better value.
- Bananas are good and still quite cheap.
- Italian Kiwifruit are in season. The Italian fruit is generally quite tangy.
- Strawberries are not at their best due to the heat but Blueberries are good.
- Grapes are nice and prices have started to ease.
- Mangoes and Cherries have finished for this season.
- Peaches, Nectarines and Plums are still nice. We will have discounted trays of Peaches and Nectarines available throughout the season.
- Pineapples and Red Papaya are excellent.
- Rockmelon and Honeydew melons are very nice and Watermelons are also good.
- Passionfruit have stopped again for now.
- Try our local Hornsby Heights Honey which rated very well at last year’s Easter show.
Order your home delivered fruit and vegetables before 8:30 pm on Monday for delivery to Asquith, Beecroft, Berowra, Berowra Heights, Hornsby, Hornsby Heights, Mount Colah, Mount Kuring-gai, Normanhurst, North Turramurra, North Wahroonga, Pennant Hills, Pymble (East side), South Turramurra, St Ives, St Ives Chase, Thornleigh, Turramurra, Wahroonga, Warrawee and Westleigh on Tuesday afternoon or evening.